Good news! Memory Lane Classics have been granted permission for their showroom. See link on ‘News’page.
Following the purchase of The White Lion site in September, 2018 we have been busy! There’s lots of new information on the ‘News’ and ‘Future Plans’ pages.
The White Lion Community Pub (Hankelow) Ltd. continues to grow as more investors join the original shareholders who collectively raised the funds to buy the site. Our investors share the view that this is an exciting project that will not only preserve a village pub that has been around for at least 250 years but along with Memory Lane Classics (MLC) will see the establishment of a novel business partnership.
The Company held its first successful AGM and the continuing strong local support was evident. Renewed impetus was given to proposals to raise the balance of the funds needed to complete the restoration work.
Our proposals tick many boxes:-
- we are restoring an “asset of community value” and a locally distinctive building, part of the historic environment of the village.
- we are helping to maintain the village as a sustainable community as distinct from simply being a collection of houses on the A529.
- we will enhance the provision of community services.
- we will help to develop rural tourism; bed and breakfast suites are included in our plans.
- we will provide employment opportunities.
- we will increase the value of residential properties in the village.
Refurbishment work was started by self-help working parties clearing the internal space in readiness for the professionals to take over. Phase 1 is nearing completion and has seen the installation of a new water treatment system and drains. Phase 2 will start soon and this will focus on the roof, floors and footings for the new build.
The Company is beginning to draw up recruitment plans leading to the appointment of a tenant/landlord. The pub will be run as a free house. The tenant will run the business within parameters set by the shareholders which will include :-
- the need to run a profitable pub.
- a requirement to help sustain community activities outside normal pub hours.
- to work collaboratively with MLC to maximise the mutual advantages of the joint business venture on the one site. The pub can provide hospitality to the classic car enthusiasts who will visit the car showroom.
The White Lion Community Pub Hankelow Ltd.
A flyer has been published and over 500 copies have been distributed in Hankelow and the surrounding parishes. The flyer can be downloaded here.
Nantwich News have also published an article about our venture and are inviting interested parties to contact us.